Pages

Wednesday 21 September 2016

Utopia Project | Pages 1,2&3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! I have finished some of the pages in my sketchbook and would like to show and talk to you about it. Like I've said before I've been using it like a scrapbook and I plan to continue this throughout my book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE1.


Page one is a combination of research of Utopia and things that I would include in my own utopia.

I've used a mix of collarging methods where I have stuck objects and layered paper over the top of each other. Using masking tape to stick them in place.

I have some photocopies from out of books, a photocopy of a postcard, a mind map, some writing about the postcard, some leaves and some writing about utopia which reads; Mid 16th Century based on Greek ou not + topos place; first used ''Utopia'' (1516) by sir Thomas More.




This is a mind map which I used to pick things from this world that I love and would take with me to my own utopia. I've just used a brio pen for this and tried to make it as busy as possible.

I wrote things like snow, crunchy leaves, flowers, Christmas lights...

I might plan to draw some of these things later on in my book.










This is a map of Utopia by Ambrosius Holbein, from Froben edition of March 1518, photocopied from Tomas More's Utopia, published in 1516.

I love the look of this map but I thought the map of Utopia would be much bigger then this!

I have also written about the other things on this page that you can read about here: Sketchbook Sneak Peeks | Utopia Project










-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE2.


As I said before I'm going to try and continue the whole scrapbook theme so here again I have used collarging and masking tape to stick down the things on this page.

Theres brown paper that got printed out wrong - notes about it, a photocopy of the Utopian alphabet and a quote I pulled out of Dylan Evans ''The Utopia Experiment'' on page 28.

The quote reads; ''To call something utopia is, of course, not entirely positive. The connotation of a perfect society is offset by that of a hopelessly impractical ideal.''

I agree with Evans on this statement because even if you was to create your own utopia it would have many problems, kind of like a film with plot holes.



Utopian alphabet with a quatrain in that language followed by a translation into Latin, from the Froben edition of March 1518. Photocopied from Thomas More's Utopia 1516.

I have also talked about the missed print on the brown paper over on my other post, that you can read here: Sketchbook Sneak Peeks | Utopia Project












-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE3.

This page shows research from Disney's (cartoon) ''Alice in Wonderland'' and Lewis Carroll's ''Alice's Adventures in Wonderland''. I've also included a quote from Dylan Evans ''The Utopia Experiment''

I've hand wrote the quote in the bottom right and it reads: ''...we might dream of a perfect society, we will never find it in this world''.

In the bottom left I have typed up the lyrics of two songs sang in the Disney's cartoon version of ''Alice in Wonderland'', In a ''World of my Own'' and ''Very Good Advice''.

In a ''World of my Own'' Alice sings about having her own world, at the top of the page I have wrote about this being like her own utopia. In ''Very Good Advice'' she sings how she has got herself into trouble and in my writing I've said how her own utopia becomes a dystopia as she doesn't want to be there any longer.


This is page 33 photocopied from Lewis Carrol's ''Alice's Adventures in Wonderland''.

I've included it into my book because it reminds me of my miss print on the brown paper and got me thinking about how Wonderland seemed perfect to Alice at the start but then turned out to be a kind of dystopia.

If I have missed anything on these pages that you would like to see/ read about I have another post I did before hand with the missing things on, that you can read here: Sketchbook Sneak Peeks | Utopia Project





-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! I hope you have enjoyed this post and it has given you some ideas for your own sketchbooks and research! Be sure to check out my other social medias linked below.xx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow me, like me and watch me here:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictoriaAnnee_
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaAnneDesigns/
Personal Blog: http://victoriaannewhatimupto.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment